optiPoint application module How to configure LDAP
The Wiki of Unify contains information on clients and devices, communications systems and unified communications. - Unify GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
This document contains practical information on how to configure the LDAP client on an optiPoint application module (via the "LDAP" application).
Scope of document
This document describes how to configure the optiPoint telephone so you can use and modify the LDAP function on the optiPoint application module.
The following topics are not dealt with in this document:
- Running an LDAP search on an optiPoint application module
- LDAP server administration
- Configuring further applications on an optiPoint application module
For further information on these topics, refer to the relevant documents listed in section 4, “References”.
The information provided in this document contains merely general descriptions or characteristics of performance which in case of actual use do not always apply as described or which may change as a result of further development of the products.
The trademarks used are the property of Siemens AG or their respective owners.
What is LDAP?
LDAP is an abbreviation of Lightweight Directory Access Protocol.
This network protocol allows you to access a directory server (LDAP server) via an LDAP client. You can then access various information stored there.
In practice, this means, for example, that you enter the surname of a person you want to call in the optiPoint application module. After a few moments, a hit list of the name(s) matching your entry is displayed. You can then call this person directly using the number that appears.
The most important LDAP components are:
- Directory server (LDAP server): provides hierarchical storage of attributes such as names, telephone numbers, etc.
- LDAP client: allows you to enter search parameters and display the results.
- The following devices support the LDAP function:
- optiPoint application module
- optiPoint display module
- optiPoint 600 office
- Other optiPoint telephones on the HiPath 3000/5000 communication platform (V5.0 and later)
- LDAP template: connects input and output fields on the LDAP client with attributes on the directory server.
The following requirements must be met before you start configuration:
- The optiPoint application module must be connected to one of the following optiPoint telephones and operational:
- optiPoint 410 standard (CorNet IP)
- optiPoint 410 advance (CorNet IP)
- optiPoint 420 standard (CorNet IP)
- optiPoint 420 advance (CorNet IP)
- You can also run the optiPoint application module on optiPoint 500 telephones, but these do not support the LDAP function.
- To optimize browser-based administration:
- You should know the IP address of the optiPoint telephone with the optiPoint application module you wish to configure.
- You should have a PC with a Web browser that can access the optiPoint telephone with an attached optiPoint application module via LAN.
- You can also connect a PC (a laptop, for example) directly to one of the telephones listed above using a LAN cable ( socket on the underside of the telephone).
See section 4, “References” to find out where you can obtain any additional information you need.
Scope of functions on optiPoint application module
- You can use one or more search strings to find information on the directory server.
- You can use complete or partial strings. Enter an asterisk (*) if you are not using a complete string.
- You can call a person from the hit list simply by pressing a button.