HiPath Cordless IP
The Wiki of Unify contains information on clients and devices, communications systems and unified communications. - Unify GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
HiPath Cordless IP V1 is the DECT over IP solution for pure IP platforms.
The radio technology used in the HiPath Cordless IP solution complies with the DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) standard. The HiPath Cordless IP solution now makes the DECT standard already established for mobile voice communications also available in Voice over IP infrastructures.
The flexibility in number of users, user density, coverage, extensibility and the provision of comfort features with the up-to-date Gigaset professional handsets characterize the system architecture of HiPath Cordless IP. The connection to the Voice over IP infrastructure of the Communication Server is made by means of the SIP protocol. This means that DECT radio cells are the perfect way to supplement SIP-capable Voice over IP systems as mobile communication solutions.
- 1 Key Features
- 2 Solution Components
- 3 Overview
- 3.1 DECT IP base station (BSIP1)
- 3.2 HiPath Cordless IP Server SW
- 3.3 Communication Interfaces
- 3.4 Features that can be made available on the Supported Gigasets
- 4 Connectable Devices
- 5 Technical Data
- 6 Documentation and Training
- 7 See also
The entire radio range managed by the system consists of DECT IP base stations that either together form a seamless network of overlapping and synchronous radio cells or individual islands of radio signals. The size of a radio cell depends on local conditions.
DECT IP base stations support the seamless handover of existing voice connections, in other words the changeover between the radio cell and a DECT handset during a call. In addition, the roaming function is made available to mobile users, i.e. the change of radio system without an existing call.
The HiPath Cordless IP system solution consists of the following main components:
- Handsets: Gigaset professional DECT handset with PN-CAP functionality
- Base station: DECT IP base station with PN-CAP/ GAP functionality for the supported Gigaset professional handsets and IP interface with the Ethernet network
- HiPath Cordless IP server software is the central software component for:
- controlling the DECT IP base stations
- implementing the SIP/RTP interfaces in the direction of the Communication Server
- central administration and configuration of the entire HiPath Cordless IP solution
The HiPath Cordless IP server software can be activated on one of the DECT IP base stations. Nevertheless, this DECT IP base station allows making calls.
This section gives you an overview over the most important features of HiPath Cordless IP V1.
DECT IP base station (BSIP1)
DECT IP base stations form a network of radio cells and conduct communications with the Gigaset professional handsets. Special antennae can be used for increased radio ranges. The DECT IP base stations can be fitted with an outdoor casing to protect against inclement weather. DECT IP base stations have the complete software for DECT and IP functionality. This software does not need to be configured and administered locally on the DECT IP base stations; this can be conveniently implemented on a centralized basis by means of the HiPath Cordless IP server software.
HiPath Cordless IP Server SW
The HiPath Cordless IP server software has several functions, only exists once in the system and can be activated on one of the DECT IP base stations.
Function: Router and protocol converter
HiPath Cordless IP server software is the interface between the IP DECT base stations on the one hand and the Communication Server on the other. It has a router and protocol converter function whereby it controls the voice connections between the Communication Server and the relevant DECT IP base station and also converts these into a data format that can be used by the DECT base stations. Only the HiPath Cordless IP server knows the DECT IP base stations with which the relevant handsets are associated; this is not apparent to the Communication Server. The HiPath Cordless IP server software is a Gateway User agent for the Communication Server which manages the configured handsets. The HiPath Cordless IP server software is also used to register all handsets on the Communication Server; this software administers the login procedure and the active DECT handsets.
Function: Configuration and administration interface
All administration and configuration of DECT IP base stations and of the HiPath Cordless IP server software itself is executed by means of the web-based management of HiPath Cordless IP server software.
Function: Synchronization management
In DECT systems with a circuit-switched connection, e.g. HiPath Cordless Office systems, the synchronization information required to synchronize the base stations is derived from the UP0 connection. This is because of the IP connection of the base station not possible in the case of the HiPath Cordless IP system. However, accurate time synchronization between the DECT IP base stations is vital for a seamless call handover. A seamless handover cluster is formed between synchronous DECT IP base stations; calls can only be handed over seamlessly in this cluster. More clusters of this type are possible for each Communication Server, however these are not synchronized with each other. Seamless handover is not possible between different non-synchronous clusters.
Synchronization via DECT to form this seamless handover cluster (synchronization via air)
In order to synchronize with another DECT IP base station via the DECT interface, a DECT IP base station must be within the overlap area of the radio cell that forms this DECT IP base station. In addition, the DECT IP base station can be synchronized on other DECT IP base stations, which increases the availability of synchronicity in this cluster. In the event that synchronicity is lost, this DECT IP base station no longer accepts calls. After all ongoing calls on the asynchronous DECT IP base station have been ended, an attempt is made to resynchronize this DECT IP base station. Only then can new calls be made on this DECT IP base station.
The following is an overview of the communication relationships used in the solution:
DECT handset - user: Gigaset professional DECT handset, with alternative Headset oder Bluetooth headset
DECT handset – DECT IP base station (BSIP1): A call can be handed over seamlessly between the DECT IP base stations.
DECT IP base station (BSIP1) – DECT IP base station (BSIP1): Accurate time synchronization between the DECT IP base stations is vital for a seamless call handover.
DECT IP base station (BSIP1) – HiPath Cordless IP server software: The DECT IP base stations all communicate with the HiPath Cordless IP server software; the voice and signaling data is transported in this connection. The connection protocol between the DECT IP base stations and the HiPath Cordless IP server software is system specific; it is IP-based and uses UDP packages in both directions.
HiPath Cordless IP server software – Communication Server: The SIP protocol between the HiPath Cordless IP server software and the Communication Server is standards-based.
HiPath Cordless IP server software - time server: A time server is not absolutely necessary. The time information is used to display this when the Gigaset professional is idle and to file the caller list with correct data. The Communication Server can also be managed as a time server.
Features that can be made available on the Supported Gigasets
In addition to the local features of Gigaset professional such as redial list or integrated phonebook, the HiPath Cordless IP solution provides the following system features on the supported Gigaset professional telephones:
- outgoing/incoming calls
- calling line identity presentation (CLIP)
- hold – including music on hold while a caller is waiting
- forward when busy and forward when no reply are available using standard Communication Server call forwarding
- attended/unattended transfer
- 3-party conference
- ringer tone mute by incoming calls
- call reject
- time and date display at idle screen
- internal/external call ringer differentiation
- missed call list for incoming calls on a free Gigaset, including MWI signaling
- received call list
- DTMF transmission
- Integration of Gigaset professional into MULAP groups
- group call possible between Gigaset and optiPoint / openStage (both phones ring when an incoming call is received; when the call is answered using one of the two phones, the other phone stops ringing)
Platforms - Communication Server
- HiPath OpenOffice ME from V1
- HiPath OpenOffice EE from V1
- OpenScape Office MX from V1
- HiPath 3000 from V8
- OpenScape Voice from V4R1 patchset 29
- HiPath 4000 V5 Softgate 50
- Gigaset SL3 professional
- Gigaset S3 professional
- Gigaset S4 professional
- Gigaset S4 professional
- Gigaset M2 professional
Features of the DECT IP Base Station (BSIP1)
Features - DECT
- Support for the maximum number of DECT channels
- Extended scope of features for the supported Gigaset professional telephones (PN-CAP standard)
- Support for antenna diversity
Features - Ethernet
- Ethernet 10/100 Base T connection
- Power-over-Ethernet Power Class 2 (IEE802.3af)
- Software download/update available
- Echo cancellation
- Integrated http/https server for accessing the solution's Web-based management
Additional features if the HiPath Cordless IP Server Software has been activated on the DECT IP base station - on the Communication Server route, this DECT IP base station also offers:
- DHCP options - DCHP on or local entry of IP addresses
- Quality of Services in the network:
- Layer 2 prioritization (802.1p/q)
- Layer 3 prioritization (ToS, DiffServ)
- outdoor casing available
If Voice over IP is to be integrated in a network environment, it is necessary to create conditions so that the voice connections can be operated smoothly by means of IP networks. The IP network must meet the general requirements for a VoIP network in relation to delays, losses and guaranteed service quality features.
In addition, the following special conditions must be met between the DECT IP base stations and the HiPath Cordless IP server software in the IP network:
- these must be part of the same Ethernet segment; neither layer 3 routing via an IP router or Network Address Translation (NAT) are supported
- at least 2 priority classes according to IEEE 802.1 p/q are required in the VoIP network in order to prioritize the voice data
- Use of 100 Mbps full duplex for all switched LAN ports
Otherwise delays occur in the IP network, leading to synchronization and voice quality problems on the DECT handsets.
Because the HiPath Cordless IP Server SW has been activated on one of the DECT IP base station, the following system restrictions apply in the first step:
- up to 10 DECT IP base stations
- up to 10 parallel calls
These system restrictions relate to each group of synchronous DECT IP base stations in which a seamless handover is possible. Other larger scenarios are planned.
Analysis of the Building/Campus (Site Survey)
When the DECT network involves approximately 3 DECT IP base stations, a site survey is recommended. This is particularly the case if:
- several floors or buildings are to be covered with DECT
- the solution will have to coexist with other DECT installations
- other radio-intensive devices are operated in the environment.
If you'd like to find out more visit http://www.siemens.com/open or ask your Siemens Channel Partner for a demonstration today.
Documentation and Training
- HiPath Cordless IP V1 Service Manual
- HiPath Cordless IP V1 Einrichtung SIRA-Zugang
- OSV V4R1 Configuration Guide HiPath-cordless-IP
- HiPath Cordless IP V1 Bedienungsanleitung User Guide with Gigaset S3 prof
- HiPath Cordless IP V1 Bedienungsanleitung User Guide with Gigaset SL3 prof
- CE certificate
- Basics course of HiPath Cordless IP for Consulting/ Sales - SVU on Demand (HCIBASUDV)
- Basic course installation/ service of HiPath Cordless IP - SVU on Demand (MKDECTOIP)
Remark: There is a MyTraining Login of the Academy for Professional Training required.