Support of Bluetooth Hands-free profile (HFP)
The Wiki of Unify contains information on clients and devices, communications systems and unified communications. - Unify GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
|Model:|| OpenStage 60|
OpenStage 60/80 used to only support the headset profile (HS). Disadvantages for headset users were problems when e.g. reconnecting the headset, long signalling delays. The implementation of the hands-free profile (HFP) in V3 R0 doesn’t cover all HFP functionality but at least the basic headset functionality that mobile phones already provide is covered.
Before SW version V3R0 the OpenStage did only support the headset profile (HSP) for interaction with the Blue-tooth headsets. Via this Headset profile the headset can be wirelessly connected for the purposes of acting as the OpenStage’s audio input and output mechanism, providing full duplex audio. This is the simplest way of connecting the headset device to the OpenStage.
The Hands-Free profile is newer and is a more elaborated way to perform the same functionality, but it also supports more functions. HFP is the successor of the HSP and it is expected that HFP completely replaces HSP in the near future. This means that there exists a relatively high probability that the new headset devices coming to the market may stop supporting the HSP and HFP may become the only supported way of communication with the Phone. With SW version 3 there will be both Headset and Hands-Free profiles supported at the same time.
The main profits from implementation of HFP in the OpenStage are following:
- Better support for new headset devices.
- Headset Profile support may be discontinued from headset manufacturers in the near future. For in-stance we’re now facing situations that new headsets try to connect only via HFP (Jabra BT8040, Jabra JX10 Series II etc) and don’t use HSP for reconnect initiated from the headset side.
- Audio signal quality transmitted via HFP should be better. eSCO connections are supported by HFP. eSCO links also can offer limited retransmission of packets (unlike currently used SCO links where there is no retransmission). This retransmission feature shall help to increase the audio quality.
- HFP implementation should solve customer reported problems with audio reconnections.
- Initiating of a call is faster.
|Since hands free profile does not support any button press event, there is no possibility to go off-hook and afterwards dial a phone number.|