HiPath TAPI 170 TSP
The Wiki of Unify contains information on clients and devices, communications systems and unified communications. - Unify GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
HiPath TAPI 170 is a Telephony Service Provider software, which enables Microsoft TAPI based software applications to control or monitor terminals connected to HiPath platforms.
- 1 Features
- 2 Software versions
- 3 TAPI 170 general configuration
- 4 Prerequisites / Requirements
- 5 Capacities
- 6 Functional Boundary Conditions
- 7 Documentation
- 8 Software Delivery
- 9 Licensing
- 10 Backward compatibility
- 11 Feature description in detail
- 12 Contribution
- 13 External Links
- Third party TAPI service provider.
- Full compatibility with the latest Microsoft TAPI 2.2/3.1 standard.
- Designed to run on a Microsoft Windows 2003 / 2008 based network server.
- Telephone functionality available on every client PC via the TAPI 2.2/3.1 client/server architecture.
- No additional TSP client software required.
- Support of CSTA III protocol.
- Support of several physical interfaces.
- Permanent interface monitoring for high service reliability.
- Automatic garbage collection releases seized resources after time out.
- Developer Guide for TAPI implementation available.
Latest Version (effective July 2011) is:
HiPath TAPI 120 V2 R1.66.0 (released 2011-07-08)
This version supports 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows operation systems.
TAPI 170 general configuration
HiPath TAPI 170 is a server based third party TAPI service provider based on Microsoft´s remote TAPI concept. TAPI 170 is capable to monitor and control multiple devices via CSTA interface of the HiPath platform.
The CTI Link between the HiPath TAPI 170 Server PC and the HiPath platform is logically done by the CSTA III protocol. No physical connection is required between computer and phone. Hipath Platform and the HiPath TAPI 170 PC are connected to an Ethernet based LAN with TCP/IP protocol.
For connection of TAPI 170 (CTI Server) to a HiPpath 3000 platform the HG1500 module is required. HiPath 2000 platforms can be connected directly to LAN without any additional HW.
Supported networking scenarios
HiPath TAPI 170 can be operated either in combination with a single HiPath Platform (single node) or in combination with HiPath 5000 RSM in multi-node systems.
|TAPI 170 in single node environment||TAPI 170 in multi-node environment|
In a single node, the CTI server PC where HiPath TAPI 170 TSP is installed communicates directly with a single HiPath platform, using Ethernet LAN and CSTA protocol. PC clients in a network with the TAPI applications are in the same domain as the CTI server with the HiPath TAPI 170 TSP, and access the TAPI server PC via Microsoft's remote TAPI functionality.
HiPath TAPI 170 TSP must be installed on a server PC with HiPath 5000 RSM for multi-node connection. HiPath TAPI 170 TSP communicates via Ethernet LAN and CSTA protocol with each individual HiPath platform in a multi-node environment. Station data for the HiPath platforms connected in the network is retrieved from the HiPath 5000 RSM database. If station data is changed in the network, HiPath TAPI 170 TSP is automatically notified of the change. PC clients with TAPI applications in the network must be located in the same domain as the HiPath 5000 RSM server with TAPI 170 TSP. They access this server PC via Microsoft's remote TAPI functionality.
Note: At the time this information was written, HiPath 5000 RSM and TAPI 170 were released only for 32-bit operating systems within the multinode environment.
Operation in mixed 32 and 64-bit environment
Within a customer network different Windows operating systems can be used. The released constellations of 32 and 64-bit Windows operating systems, related to HiPath TAPI 170 V2 are shown in the tables below.
|Scenario||Server operating system||TAPI 170 TSP variant||Client operating system||TAPI Client application||Released|
A TAPI Client PC with 64-bit operating system can operate either 32-bit or 64-bit TAPI applications (e.g. scenario 5 and 6).
A 64-bit TAPI 170 server can be operated together with a 32-bit remote client (scenario 4). The other way around (32-bit server, 64-bit client) it is not possible.
Prerequisites / Requirements
- HiPath 2000 V2
- HiPath OpenOffice EE V1
- HiPath 3300/3350 V7 and V8
- HiPath 3500/3550 V7 and V8
- HiPath 3800 V7 and V8
- HiPath 5000 RSM V7
- HiPath OpenOffice ME V1
- OpenScape Office MX V2
- OpenScape Office LX/MX V3
- Analog phones
- optiPoint 500 family based on CorNet-TS or CorNet-IP
- optiPoint 410/420 family based on Cornet TS or IP
- OpenStage HFA family (HFA)
Not Supported phones
- Standard H.323 phones
- SIP Phones
In general the PC hardware equipment must meet the requirements of the Windows operating system. For each TAPI line configured 200 KB of additional RAM has to be provided.
TAPI 170 SW is not released for operation on virtual machines, even if one of the operating systems mentioned below are operated within the virtual machine.
Server operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2008 Server, (32 & 64 -bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Server, (64 -bit)
Terminal Server operating systems
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Server, (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Terminal Server, (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2008 Terminal Server, (32 & 64 -bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Server, (64 -bit)
- Citrix MetaFrame XP Feature Release 3 with SP3 (32-bit)
- Citrix Terminal Server XEN APPS (32-bit)
Client operating systems (for remote TAPI):
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4 (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit) Home and Home Premium Edition are excluded
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit) Starter and Home Premium Edition are excluded
Not supported operating systems / servers
- Microsoft Home Server
- Micosoft Small Business Server
|HiPath platform||max. no of TAPI clients|
HiPath 5000 CS
HiPath 5000 RSM
HiPath OpenOffice ME
OpenScape Office LX/MX
The maximum value of TAPI clients per platform does not represent the max number of monitor point available within a HiPath platform.
Functional Boundary Conditions
- Server PCs with multiple network interface cards or Load Balancing must not be used.
- Only Microsoft Windows clients are allowed.
- All client PCs and the server must be members of one and the same domain.
- LAN refer to the usage of Ethernet technology.
- The physical connection to HiPath 3000 is allowed only via HG 1500.
- The TAPI feature range depends on the underlying CSTA feature set
- HiPath platform monitor points are not exclusively for HiPath TAPI 170, but are available for all connected applications.
- Maximum numbers of monitor point depend on HiPath platform model
- Use of Hipath TAPI 170 in connection with HiPath 5000 CS always requires a HiPath 3000 as gateway.
- Terminal Server environment
- Terminal Server / Metaframe Server and HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0 have to be installed on the same server HW so that every user can only monitor his/her own line.
- In a Terminal Server Farm architecture, every server needs its own HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0.
- Licensing has to be done on every server separately - every line needs a separate license.
- The maximum number of HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0 instances is four.
- Operation with HiPath 5000 RSM and networked HiPath 3000 is not allowed.
- Operation in 64-bit operating system environments
- Supported OS: Currently TAPI 170 TSP is released for Windows 7 64-bit Windows 2008 64-bit and Windows 2008 R2. It is not intended to support older 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- Networking: The release of HiPath 5000 RSM at the time of TAPI 170 V2R1.64 SW release is limited on 32-bit Windows operating systems. This has the effect, that TAPI 170 can be used for networked systems with HiPath 5000 RSM only in the 32-bit version.
- Simultaneous operation of HiPath TAPI 170 64 bit and Microsoft Office 32 bit is not possible. In this case Microsoft Office 64 Bit has to be used or the applications have to be operated on different servers.
- TAPI170 Administration guide single node
- TAPI170 Administration guide multi node
- TAPI170 Developers Guide
HiPath TAPI 170 software is shipped on a CD labelled "HiPath TAPI 120/ 170 V2 Service Provider" which is included in serveral order positions.
For service purposes the software can also be downloaded from the Software Supply Server of the manufacturer. software patches for dedicated problem corrections can be retrieved from the Knowledge Base within the Partner Portal (Partner Portal login required)of the manufacturer. Access to the two methods mentioned above is only granted by the manufacturer to registered partners on a contractual base.
For HiPath TAPI 170 TSP, the number of useable TAPI lines is licensed. Licenses are linked to the MAC addresses on the first Ethernet LAN card on the PC where the HiPath TAPI 170 TSP is installed. In multinode scenarios in connection with HiPath 5000 RSM, the MAC address of the first HiPath node is used to license the TAPI lines.
Central License Server (CLS) of the HiPath License Management (HLM) is used to generate the appropiate license keys in a file. The license file generated by CLS is copied into HiPath TAPI 170 TSP using its configuration menue. Afterwards the licenses can be assigned to the TAPI lines. CLA and CLM components of HLM are not reqiured.
For testing purposes, HiPath TAPI 170 TSP can be operated without a license for two hours. To do this, enter the text "DEMOMODE" instead of a license key. Three freely configurable lines will be available for testing. The testing period can be reset by restarting the PC. You can switch from test version to full version at any time by entering the license key.
License conversion from HiPath TAPI 170 TSP V1.0 to V2.0
HiPath TAPI 170 TSP V1.0 can be upgraded to HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0 and expanded with HiPath TAPI V2.0 licenses. Licenses purchased under V1.0 must be converted to V2.0 (in the central license server) and the latest driver software must be installed. To perform the conversion, the MAC address is entered in the license server under HiPath TAPI 170 V1.0 / "Version conversion" and the corresponding dataset is located using the search function. Users activate “Convert to V2.0” in order to transfer the dataset found to the V2.0 licensing database (license server). After transfer, the dataset can no longer be edited using V1.0. In the following step, the user searches for the new license key under the "Licensing" item in HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0, using the unchanged MAC address. Opening "Upgrade license", HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0 expansion packets and HiPath TAPI 170 V1.0 licenses (which have been converted to HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0) can now be combined in one new overall license.
Reuse of existing licenses after change from 32 to 64-bit
Existing TAPI 170 user licenses can be reused after upgrade of the operating system from 32 to 64-bit. Three constellations have to be considered for the license handling
- Installation on the same computer HW with the same MAC address.
In this case the existing license data can be reused 1:1.
- Installation on other computer HW with the same MAC address. (in case of reuse of the network interface card)
In this case the existing license data can be reused 1:1.
- Installation on other computer HW with different MAC address.
Within this scenario the existing license keys have to be shifted to the new MAC address and a new license string has to be generated by the Central License Server. To do so the “Rehost” function of the Central License Server has to be applied.
Functions of HiPath TAPI 170 V2.0 are functional backward compatible to previous versions incl. the support of the license dongle of CTI TAPI 3P V2.0/V2.1. The compatibility does not apply for the support of "old" Microsoft operating systems and also not for the 64-bit variant.
Migration from TAPI 170 TSP V1 to TAPI 170 TSP V2
HiPath TAPI 170 V2 32-bit is backward-compatible with HiPath TAPI 170 V1.0 and replaces this system.
Migration from TAPI 170 TSP V2 32-bit to TAPI 170 TSP V2 64-bit
HiPath TAPI 170 TSP V2 64-bit is functionally backward compatible with HiPath TAPI 170 TSP V2 32-bit. In case of replacement of the 32-bit TAPI 170 TSP the deviations within the supported scenarios of TAPI 170 TSP 64-bit in combination with HiPath 5000 RSM have to be considered.
Connection via RS232 and S0 interfaces
Connection via V.24 / S0 interfaces should only be done for existing systems, which are already connected using these interfaces. New systems may only be connected to the HiPath platforms via Ethernet LAN using TCP/IP.
The following applies to Eicon DIVA S0 cards still used in existing systems. DIVA 2.0/3.0 cards were only released in connection with TAPI 170 TSP. Drivers are still delivered on the TAPI 170 CD and can be run using:
- Microsoft Windows NT and Windows 2000 for DIVA2.0 (32 bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP for DIVA3.0 (32 bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP (not 2003!) for DIVA Pro (32 bit)
Feature description in detail
HiPath TAPI 170 software provides in general the following features of the TAPI interface:
- Outgoing connection setup, incoming call acceptance, call cleardown
- Call status/caller ID display
- Call logging
- Call pickup (group), consultation hold, toggling, call transfer, conference
- Speed transfer, call redirect, call hold
- Tone dialing (DTMF) during call
- Call charge information
- Write to display
- Set/query hookswitch status
- Volume setting for handset, speaker and headset
- Lamp mode setting
- Dynamic line generation by the application
- Call center features:
- Query/set/cancel message waiting indicator
- Query/set/cancel call forwarding and do not disturb
- Additional information on forwarded/redirected/ transferred calls
- Playback of music on hold (MOH) and recorded announcements (RCA)
- Trunk and UCD monitoring
- Call status timer
- Unique caller ID (domain-wide)
- Call data exchange between TAPI applications (domain wide)
- Central call detail recording (CDR)
- Support for ACD proxy request handler
- Telephone data service (TDS)
Deviations can occur if the underlying CSTA III Interface of the HiPath Platform does not support some features